I am often asked about my thoughts and approach to discipline. I like to think of discipline as a dirty word. I replace it with words like guidance, and redirection. On many occasions people have approached me to tell me how well behaved my daughter is (not that she doesn't have her moments.) Many parents have asked for my advice regarding discipline and how to get their children to listen.
Here is the quick version of my feelings on discipline.
- Children need not fear their parents. Fear and respect are NOT the same.
- Positive redirection and positive reinforcement have a profound effect.
- Yelling does not help an already tense situation.
- Children often need to understand why they are being told to do/not to do something before they willingly comply.
- Practice empathy with your children and they will show it in return.
If you would like more information about how positive redirection works for me and my daughter, or if you need advice regarding discipline and guidance please do not hesitate to contact me.
Wishing you all a lovely weekend. Much love and God bless.